Saturday, February 04, 2006

Experienced, I need the experienced.


Ok this is a pretty good attempt. I repeat we have one piggy. I haven't figured out how the dual piggy is accomplished. This was my biggest fear in having a girl. The HAIR.

The experience that I acquired growing up doing my own hair left me dazed and confused in most cases. I spent full 40 minute sessions trying to French braid my sister's hair when she was all of 6 years old. I would insist that it wasn't tight enough, straight enough, high enough, low enough loose enough, thin enough, fat enough and good enough. These sessions would abruptly end when I was caught chasing after her with a spray bottle and pick, trying to persuade her to let me try once more. I am pretty sure she could have serious couch time in a psychiatrists office over that one. Saving my daughter from this same fate is a win-win for me. She will have plenty of couch time over other things I will do.

My Band and I used to joke we have a psych fund for our children growing for them under the unassuming name of a "Education Fund".

My concerns are:

- rubberband application & removal pain. ( so I have just used small clippies)
- parting hair comb pain

which could directly cause the following:

- bath aversion.
- mother (with comb in hand) aversion.
- hair cutting place aversion.
- and eventually Prom aversion.

Does anyone have any advice or strategies that could apply? I am considering investing in hats. Many, many hats. I would prefer someone with experience but all applications will be reviewed closely.

Thank you for your prompt response.

7 comments:

Kathryn Thompson said...

Have you tried the tiny clear baby elastic bands? They tend to be relatively "ouchless." They hold pretty well. That's the best I've got.

Pam said...

Those bitty elastics are great. Even my most tender-headed daughter could handle having her hair done with those. Good luck, and come at her from behind so she can't get frightened face-to-face! : )

Unknown said...

I put Spicey on the bathroom counter and let her play with all the fun stuff on it-- toothbrushes, make-up applicators, spray bottles, little bowl full of plastic barrettes, anything to keep her still. Those little rubberbands everyone else mentioned are nice too. It's tricky but the earlier you start it the earlier she'll get used to the routine.

Stephanie said...

I wish I could help. As it is Reenie does not have much hair. Only a small mullet in the back...

Kathy said...

I don't think mom had a problem worrying about how tender my head was. By the time my brothers started pulling my hair, it was no big thang cuz she'd been pulling it for a while. ;)

Kathy said...

also, love the banner! makes me think of lemony snicket, 'cept your pic is just underneath it!

love the new shoes. in fact... makes me pause and think, one more thing on the ole visa can't *@*#*buzz*#*@* (electric shock/ anti-retail therapy is working)

and can i just say, LOVE that thing 2! i think one piggy is so cute!

Erin said...

Well you have one advantage over me, at least you had a sister to do her hair. I grew up in a house ful of brtothers and a mom that has always had short hair, so no hair practice time for me, except for on myself, and no one to give me advice. And to top it off I have curly hair, so I had to figure out how to manage that. So after having my girl 6 months ago, it left me a little intimidated. I lucked out and she was born with some hair. It seems as though there is some wave to it, so I used to have curls sticking up on the top of her head. About a month ago she seemed to have lost most of the hair on her crown. The hair in the front has gotten kind of long, so I have started to comb it to the side and found some cute little barretts to put in to to hold it over. I also make my own hair bows that are on the elastic headbands, since she out grew the cute ones she got after about a month. Good luck! I hope both of us are blessed with some creativity!