Sunday, January 15, 2006

AH let there be light.....


Ever since thing 1 has been big enough to turn on the light endless hours have been spent reading books, pushing cars, and emptying sock drawers. His bedroom light would go on at 2, 3, 4 am and stay on until it was time to wake up and find the toys he had fallen asleep playing with. He had yet to sleep in his big boy bed for longer than 3 hours at a time. Annoying? Yes, when you go to the bathroom and see the light is on at 5:30am. So we tried taping the light switch to the off position. Good for a maximum of 24 hours. This week I had had it. No light bulbs. Pulled them out. My child magically sleeps when he is put in his bed.
Day three we return Thing 2 to her crib. She had been exiled to a play pin bassinet in the office since the light discovery took place. Today we entered their room to find thing 1 giggling with thing 2 in her crib. No Buena. How he got in there involves a gymnastic feet I don't want to know that my son is capable at his tender young age of 2. I have placed the baby monitor back into their room so that we can hear the brawl before it gets violent if that is the case. He has figured out how to enter the crib his dismount is sketchy and I assume that is why he hasn't attempted it YET.... We shall see.

This evening I was in their room trying to rig up the baby monitor and its components.

You: This was difficult?
Me: In a room with no light bulbs? Yes.

Luckily for me my "Band" pulls through. He is an avid outdoors man, who sees very little of the outdoors. In his previous life as a camper he used what I call a "Head flashlight". Soooo, in I go into the dark with light attached to my head. I come back out of the room to get the other components and start my usual bark of random things to my Band. He takes one look at me and starts to laugh hysterically. I then realize the head flashlight is still attached and it is on. Let there be light.


Meanwhile in other news.... We bought a car. Yes it is officially ours. I guess we have to have the title in hand to say that but the car we have been purchasing for the past four-and-some years is finally ours. Paying off a car has had some new effects that I didn't expect.

1. Desire for a new car payment has completely diminished.
2. The thought of purchasing old cars (so that you don't ever have a car payment again) is new and very persistent.
3. The desire for the purchased car to be passed down (for the enjoyment of many generations) is growing steadily, as I have named it Doug.

My band and I are planning "debt-free-by-February" that almost rhymes. I am givin myself A for effort. We get in the mail an overdraft statement from our bank. One month ago we closed our account to this particular bank that I do not have love for. AKA Rape of America. Now the electronic debit that was issued was an auto bill pay transaction. Only when you cancel the account you no longer can have access to the online portion of the auto bill pay. Thus you would think that the cancellation of an account would cancel the auto bill pay.

Not the case. Now they want their 34 dollar- check -bouncing fee as well as a 20.00 transaction. Ok call in special forces, BAND. Love it. Band calls and proceeds to explain situation. Customer service can't remove bank charge asks band to go into the branch and pay fee and transaction. Band responds with......"I am sorry that is against my policy." Goes to branch pays for transaction not fee. It's all in how you write the policies. I love MY BAND!

5 comments:

Kathryn Thompson said...

We do the "flip the breaker" trick. It's a good-un. Nice snowflakes.

Daring Young Dad said...

"Thing 1" and "Thing 2"--that is AWESOME!

Stephanie said...

Oh we know all about the lights on at all hours of the night at our house.

And after reading your profile, I agree with you about the spicy thing. All I can taste is the burn in my throat-- no flavor-- just burn.

Unknown said...

"Stay at Home Adventurer". Oh how I soooo love that term.

Love the blog. Keep it up!

JD said...

Wowsers Thanks for the feedback guys. DYM you are one kind hearted gal. Thanks again.