Friday, June 04, 2010

The last day of Instruction. Mixed emotions.

This post will probably be enormous in length. So bring on the emotional spattering that comes with an extra long post. I am sitting in my car as I wait for my little five year old, Thing two, to go to preschool. She is five and right around the time of her birth was when my Band and I decided it was time for him to finish his education.

The aquiring of an education for me is something of an issue for myself personally. But to watch some one do it with ease and grace has been something wonderful to take part in.

For the past five years there has been struggles, sickness, stress beyond stress, poverty, rice, crazy schedules, pasta, garage sale finds, second hand land, diapers, puppies, beach trips, roller blades, Ebay-ing, baby bracelets, crocheting, digital photography, and did I mention more pasta. I wouldn't a want my kids to endure what I have had to. Only, it has taught me how to survive on a very restricted budget, believe in the impossible, surmount insurmountable odds, and humility. Those are lessons I could have probably learned in a less-intensive-live-action environment, but what would have been the fun in that? So many people have helped us along the way. So many angels have been our companions telling us to keep going and don't loose sight of the goal.

We have known that this day was comming only it's arrival today has been somewhat of a shock. It is like when you finally go into labor and you realize you are taking home a person. A person you just named, and you don't know if she'll end up liking her name. All of this work hasn't been for nothing.

Now it is on to the next step. The horizon is bright because you have a paper that in some cities only 13% of the population have (you know who you are :). This is a tricky next step that is requiring a lot of faith on my part. The reserves of faith have been slower these days to be replenished than I'd like.


Now as I gaze up at a cap and gown that has been hanging in my room for the past two nights I am very aware that this is just a temporary phase and soon I will be looking back at this time with fond memories. That is until he goes to grad. school hahahha. That is a post for another day.

4 comments:

Jess said...

oh my gosh Jen!!! I love you and I'm so happy for your little family! BOOYEAH!!!

Jo Lynn said...

Beautiful post, we are so happy for you guys! Here's to a great future!

Kathy said...

You deserve an awesome piece of paper too, for all the support and hanging in there!! I'm really proud of both of you!!

Bonnie Weeks said...

That was very well put. I'm so excited for what lies ahead...and hopefully it's an awesome job TOMORROW! This has been an amazing time.